How to change manual transmission fluid?
When to change manual transmission fluid?
Most manufacturers recommend that manual transmission fluid be changed every 30,000 to 60,000 miles.
When should I change transmission fluid under heavy-duty use? Some manufacturers suggest changing transmission fluid every 15,000 miles.
You will need the right equipment in order to carry out properly a transmission fluid change:
- Safety equipment, such as safety goggles and rubber gloves
- A spanner for the oil drain plug
- A container for collecting the used oil
- A funnel and a plastic pipe
- A jack and jackstands
- Newspaper (or paper towel) and rags
- An O-ring if necessary
Changing transmission fluid procedure:
Steps to follow before the transmission change :
Let the engine run for at least 10 minutes to make the oil viscous
The vehicle must be on a level surface with the engine switched off for at least 5 minutes.
Access the sump by lifting your car on jacks or on ramps
How to add transmission fluid?
Adding transmission fluid is easy to do:
- How to change transmission fluid: place a container under the drain plug to catch the used oil
- How to drain transmission fluid: unscrew the drain plug and let the oil drain out
- How to replace transmission fluid: when the oil tank is empty, replace the gasket and refit the drain plug securely
- Drain transmission fluid: fill the gearbox with new oil using a tube
- Put the filler cap back on securely
- Dispose of the used oil at an appropriate recycling centre
ELF's provides you an efficient and reliable range of manual transmission fluids, discover here!